All times are UTC

Post subject: YouTD DevKit v1.17b released
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
1.17b is a quick fix that brings back the tower info button and changes the "default string" text to "item drop" to make more clear that an item would have been dropped at the moment, if this was the real game.

In addition, we (the admins) want to announce some restrictions we lately discussed:

1.)
We will not approve any towers that gain something due to another particular tower (elune stuff for example), because due to the random nature of YouTD's tower distribution, it is just luck if you get such a combo. Many people already complain about too much randomness. Making combo towers that rely on getting another will make luck even more important. In addition, the build mode will have an advantage over the random modes. We are really sorry for people that have already designed such towers but we had to. Please redesign those towers if you want them approved.

2.)
Please ensure that your towers have at least 1000 projectile speed. Towers with very slow projectiles tend to waste many projectiles on already dead enemies. This cannot be calculated by the balance formula, so it should not happen. So unless you really want a slow attack as "special" feature of your tower (maybe it fits to its theme), make your projectiles fast enough.

3.)
Be really careful with "growing" towers/items, i.e. towers/items that gain permanent unlimited bonuses over time. Those towers lead to many imbalances in the current beta. Make sure that such a tower cannot get imba, even if the bonus level lasts 15+ minutes. Always calculate how strong your tower will get! Of course, such a growing tower may be better than a normal one, if it has grown long enough (especially if it starts very weak), but this must stay in a normal range (let's say not getting a few times better than a non-growing tower, even if it has grown as much as possible). If you feel unable to calculate how strong your tower will get, ask somebody else or make normal non growing tower.

Post subject: Re: YouTD DevKit v1.17b released
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

YouTD Score: 474
I don't like the first restriction ...
1: It destroys a whole type of support towers. ( yay even more damage only towers )
2: Build mode is harder then random mode ( wood cost / no replacing ). And it is in a way the tactic mode since you can chose what you want to build. Why not support this?
3: All of my elunes towers are calculated without the bonus through elune. Only elune would be weak without the others. So why not leave it as it is? May add a warning for these main group towers like: Warning! Don't build this tower as long as you haven't an other tower of this group ....

cedi

[23:05] <mOck> cedi logic is basically
[23:05] <mOck> fuck the police

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:55 pm 
Power User

YouTD Score: 629
Thumbs up for the quick update on the DevKit! : )

geX wrote:
1.)
We will not approve any towers that gain something due to another particular tower (elune stuff for example), because due to the random nature of YouTD's tower distribution, it is just luck if you get such a combo. Many people already complain about too much randomness. Making combo towers that rely on getting another will make luck even more important. In addition, the build mode will have an advantage over the random modes. We are really sorry for people that have already designed such towers but we had to. Please redesign those towers if you want them approved.

I'm disappointed by this decision, but you guys are the admins so I'll fix and update my towers that use this mechanism.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

drol wrote:
I'm disappointed by this decision, but you guys are the admins so I'll fix and update my towers that use this mechanism.

Well we are of course open for any discussion. If you can give us good reasons why such towers should stay and how to handle the random tower problem (And rember: with each version, more towers will come and make getting such a "combo" less probable. In the end, the chance will be really small, so such combos will be uber lucky stuff) this point can be discussed. However, we found none.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:00 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

Make them only avaible in the build mode?

cedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cedi wrote:

cedi

But even there, it forces you to build a set of towers. You cannot combine towers as you wish. If you have a follower of elune, you MUST build elune or waste some free damage potential. This is too easy since you CAN ALWAYS build her if you want to. It is like having buyable set items in diablo 2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm 
Power User

geX wrote:
drol wrote:

Well we are of course open for any discussion. If you can give us good reasons why such towers should stay and how to handle the random tower problem (And rember: with each version, more towers will come and make getting such a "combo" less probable. In the end, the chance will be really small, so such combos will be uber lucky stuff) this point can be discussed. However, we found none.

I agree that because of the randomness it can be tricky to get the unique tower of the family. It is ment to be this way I think. Let me explain;

I'll use my mushroom family as an example here.

Though the unique tower only gives certain abilities a small bonus (in this case +chance to trigger abilities) it is in no way necessary since the abil factor is calculated on the unique tower for the bonusses and the towers work fine without it, they just have a lower chance on their abilities.
The way I wanted to design this "big" family was that they would function themselves but it would be a lucky bonus if you'd get the unique one. This gives some diversity I think since you can make the aura (of my unique tower) more specific on what towers it will boost and on what properties.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 pm 
Power User

geX wrote:
cedi wrote:

cedi

But even there, it forces you to build a set of towers. You cannot combine towers as you wish. If you have a follower of elune, you MUST build elune or waste some free damage potential. This is too easy since you CAN ALWAYS build her if you want to. It is like having buyable set items in diablo 2.

It isn't free damage potential since the Elune tower in this case won't do her priced damage since her abil factor is lowered for her aura/follower-ability.

Its like you only get the set bonus of a set by buying it for a price, but the seperate pieces are worth their money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:41 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

Like a recipe :D.

cedi