All times are UTC

Post subject: had a 12 hours run. saved. game crashed. experience lost!?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:03 pm 
New User

so yesterday i broke the game with owl of wisdom x 2 and bonk and countless other towers, 154 food.

i wondered how long i would last the medium bonus round, which i lasted longest 430 seconds so far. when after 10 minutes i was doing well, i went off to cook. i checked every once in a while. that was 22 pm yesterday. when i woke up this morning at 6.30, i was still going, my level was 108. i started around 45 as it says.

i typed -save (again, did that a few times before). i had to leave for work and decided to give it a shot, keeping the game running. but i SAVED and i screenshotted. the game was far from what was a fluent performance on my laptop at that point. when i returned, as expected, game had crashed. i typed in the load code and its 64?? when i saved last at level 108.

i add two screenshots. please help me, it would be pretty much devastating enough not to play on this enjoyable map if this 1 in a million success to me hasn't been saved.

knowing how far i made it and just trying to catch up kills it for me.
i don't wanna seem ungrateful. it's just demotivational enough for me to leave it here. but had a jolly good time

ps - i couldnt screenshot a code - the game was so sluggish i could barely move the cursor and saw what i typed 30 seconds later. mb 1 frame each 20 secs.

what happened to the code? i saved at 6:30. log says last savegame ad 7:44, wc3 says it crashed at 11:30.
did this mess up the savecodes?

Attachment:
WC3ScrnShot_020619_215136_06.png
WC3ScrnShot_020619_215136_06.png [ 4 MiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Attachments:
WC3ScrnShot_020719_063247_07.png
WC3ScrnShot_020719_063247_07.png [ 2.85 MiB | Viewed 385 times ]

Post subject: Re: had a 12 hours run. saved. game crashed. experience lost!?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

YouTD Score: 87
All generated savecodes would be in Documents\Warcraft III\CustomMapData\YouTD\Backlog\. If the backlog doesn't help you, I don't know of anything else that would help.

You mentioned 'savelog' in the other post, which I assume meant exactly this backlog - if so, and you've tried codes from the appropriate time, the only possible assumption is that for some reason the savecode was corrupted into a form that would not load into your saved levels.

The only known cause of 'corruption' that fits this scenario is an overflow error in the save system, which has been there for 10 years (and only added to the internal issue tracker 3 months ago when it was first brought to our attention as the bonus round has become stable enough to be played for hours and hours). Since you ran bonus round for 8+ hours, it's possible you ran into that (although this overflow occurs at xp level 267, which 108 isn't close to).

Other than that, unknown causes of corruption are unknown, so I couldn't say what's up with them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:19 pm 
New User

does the xp gain raise exponentially over time?
around 22 o clock lvl 46.
at 6.30 lvl 108.
crash at 11:30 (267?)

the backlog records imply ive been sleepwalking. they are surreal in general about that one game.

giving you further information wouldn't empower you to help me, hum?

well, thx. gg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 am 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

YouTD Score: 87
The xp gain in bonus round only ramps up as the number of creeps ramps up, I think.

As the game starts running slower and slower, it might mean that "-save" will react hours later - I'm not entirely sure if your slowdown was at that magnitude, or if hours of delay can even be reached before the game crashes. But if so, it's possible that your morning save just never got around to actually generating the code before the game crashed.

This would fit the sleepwalk implying times your backlog files were created.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am 
New User

i've come to the same conclusion.thx for solving a mistery. that makes it easier to start overnew. people seek but hate the unexplained