All times are UTC

Post subject: WC3, Mac and YouTD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 pm 
New User

Hello everyone,

I am sure all devs are aware that custom maps have not been playable online for mac users for over a year now with no solution on the horizon. That is sad enough as it is but it also means we are not able to play YouTD as intended which is the saddest part for me and many others I have to assume. Is there any solution to this problem? I don't expect anyone to change their position on wether saving should be possible in single player( although that would make the game a lot more enjoyable to many people) but what about a single player map or some kind of solution that does not involve the scoreboards? I got a feeling that there is an easy solution to this that is definetly worth pursuing.

Post subject: Re: WC3, Mac and YouTD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 am 
YouTD developer
YouTD developer

YouTD Score: 32
Hey The Fblthp,

I'm presently in possession of a Mac and can say that I've been able to play most custom games without a hitch.
There are a few maps that seem to crash much more easily on OSX than on Windows, however the situation is workable.
When you say you can't play YouTD, do you mean you can't even start a game, or you get premature crashes/desyncs ~40 waves in?

Do you have the latest Wc3 update? (one of the ones that came out from Blizzard in the past couple years?) They've made it work with newer OSX versions again.

Cheers,
Glow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm 
New User

I have the latest version of TFT straight from battle.net, I play on a 2014 MacBook Pro running 10.11.6 and get desynced right at the start of the map everytime. Single player has never shown any issues. Others have reported the problem in threads like https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20742956030?page=1 (in that thread a mod also suggested hosting bots might be the problem, I couldn't verify that because apparently people can't join the games I'm hosting).

It's not even about this particular problem, really. Other problems will continue to come up with time, TFT is an old game, support will not get any better and there are more than just technical reasons for people to crave a single player solution like not having constant access to the internet. This is something that will continue to make a number of people unable to play the game as intended which is a shame because it is the best TD out there and it was developed not for money but to be enjoyed!

I don't know anything about developing the game or the competitive side of it, that's why I'm asking if whatever the benefit of the current system is, is it worth it to have this issue come up again and again and again?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 am 
YouTD developer
YouTD developer

YouTD Score: 32
I'm afraid this isn't something that's going to get changed. However if you just wish to have access to all of the builders while playing single player, then grab someone's name and save code from the "I've beaten the game" thread, then change your name to theirs and start up a single player game, entering their code.