Dear guest, welcome to YouTD!

All times are UTC

Post subject: YouTD seems VERY VERY hard to me
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 am 
Advanced User

I played a few games with a buddy today and very played on very easy, random + upgrade mode and it seemed to me that the game is extremly hard - or maybe impossible to finish. We always failed at about lvl 52 and we built together on 2 lanes... had a good mix of darkness, fire, iron, astral and energy towers ( also tried different combinations ). When we got closer to lvl 50 we could not upgrade our towers anymore due to a lack of money and we actually NEVER got a unique tower...

did we miss something or is it actually nearly impossible to get to lvl 60 ?

Post subject: Re: YouTD seems VERY VERY hard to me
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 am 
Power User

My advice: instead of a mix of towers, figure out exactly which ones are the best, and just build those.

But you ought to be able to beat easy mode without doing that.

edit: i played my first game, medium difficulty, solo, random+upgrades mode. i built towers at random and didn't know what anything did. build locations weren't very good (some wasted range), don't know the resists on anything, don't know what the +mana items do, did not focus fire towers as needed, did not spread out towers with slow effects, did not research to exact levels of elements i needed, did not know what food did until i ran out, etc. still got to level 44. doesn't seem too hard.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
yes, to be precise, the game gets harder each level. Level 60+ needs good tactics, on ALL difficulties. (Lower difficulties just make the start easier for your, the more the game advances, the more those difficulties go together).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 am 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

YouTD Score: 661
I got to lvl 60 today in easy + upgrade mode.
I had a lvl 25 superior iron defender with all the oils on it, a magic storage, the iron unique, the astral unique and some other towers.
But then i accidently sold my astral unique and lost :-(
Gex maybe add a warning when selling a tower?

Last edited by boekie on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:49 am 
Power User

I was able to reach lvl 95 in "absolute beginner", but to reach a level 60+ is very hard in ervery gamemode. The problem i see on thisw, is that new players never see any rare towers, what could be very frustrating.
At least in "absolute beginner" u should be able to reach lvl 60 without knowing all the towers and abusing interest like hell. Many players wont browse the towers at this forum, at least at "beginner" mode they should be albe to learn more about the towers in the map.

Also in public games i've seen most ppl dont konw how to use the interest system, and i have to say it is strange how i have to abuse the interst to reach later levels. I usualy try to reach 1 interst for each income at levels 20-25, in levels 35-40 its already 2:1 ratio, at levels 50+ the ratio even increase to 3:1.

Edit: i think i add an replay, so some ppl might learn how ti reach higher levels. This way more ppl can coment on the imbalacnes in the current version and help balacing the map.
Attachment:
YouTD_Beta4_ABeglvl95.w3g [327.67 KiB]
Downloaded 560 times

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:48 am 
Advanced User

I can't view that, got 1.24

anyway... so what are the best towers? is it useful to build towers without any special abilities anyway?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:01 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

Yea it's useful because the towers without abilities have much higher normal damage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:23 pm 
Light User

The best Tower Imho is the Rotten Flashing Grave Family. 2000 range is more than twice as good as 1000 range since 1000 can cover about 30 % of the path while 2000 gets 90 % .
It´s "negative" ability lets it squeeze out a bit more dps and is only a penality if you DON`T kill all mobs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
saying more range == better is wrong.

I balanced range on precise testings. I tracked down the exact time a tower can attack creeps, weighted that with the chance of those creeps to appear and divided the dps with it.

more range is better against bosses, true.
lower range is better against normal creeps, because they spawn behind each other, so your tower has always some in range, even when some others are out of range. Against normal creeps, 2000 range towers can only attack 130% of the time a 1000 range tower can attack. However, they have only about half the damage. So, its worse.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:39 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

Yeah the long range towers are more balanced now than in v0.3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:50 pm 
Advanced User

okay got to ~ lvl 85 now...BUT i didn't know how to go on... my damage basicly depended on 1 single buffed, highlvl furbolg... when it didn't proc it's enrage, i lost lives...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:56 pm 
YouTD Admin
YouTD Admin

Yeah that's because it's a beta. There are not much high damage dealing towers to choose from.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:05 pm 
Light User

It´s a difficult balancing process. Conceptually I´d like this map to encourage many different Towers that synergise with each other, which is really supported by the sheer volume of available Towers and Target Configurations.

On the other hand Oils, Interest and Esperience act as coubterpoints to Tower quantity and diversity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm 
Advanced User

Unentschieden wrote:

On the other hand Oils, Interest and Esperience act as coubterpoints to Tower quantity and diversity.

Don't forget the constant lack of gold in the 60+ levels...

I think there should be some way to redistribute oils somehow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:23 am 
New User

Unentschieden wrote:
It´s a difficult balancing process. Conceptually I´d like this map to encourage many different Towers that synergise with each other, which is really supported by the sheer volume of available Towers and Target Configurations.

I think both are needed. Many different towers that synergistic with each other is cool, but can also be really confusing when there are so many options open. If it's going to be a TD that isn't a cakewalk where you build whatever and it has a good amount of synergy, and takes some strategy, I think Oils and the like are more of a "build a foundation on these if you're not sure what you're doing and building nothing but these will be really funny and probably won't work" kind of thing. Good for newer players to get into it, will continue to support as a foundation as players try new synergies, and pros who want to get way beyond 60 will know that there's better synergy to be had.

Speaking of 60+, the highest I've ever gotten is something like 65 on super retardedly easy. I'd really like to reach some kind of end some time.