Dear guest, welcome to YouTD!

All times are UTC

Post subject: I have ideas but i totally suck without GUI.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:31 am 
Light User

I have good ideas (if they're not made already) but i completely, totally suck in vJASS and JASS. I don't know other forms of JASS than in the leak removing portion in GUI. So, i would have the model ideas for the towers as well as what they would do.
(If there's already another topic like this that i haven't found, merge this post if you can)

-----------------------------------------------
Iron Uncommon Family: Chute
Upgrade Names: Old Chute, Chute, Power Chute, Bazooka Chute
Model should consist of:
- A pipeline like in the Sewer Connection. I hope this doesn't make the model too similar to the Sewer Connection?
- Old Chute: Spider webs around the pipe
- Chute: Two barrels next to the curve pipe base and a bunch of crates in the background
- Power Chute: Many barrles (~5) around the curved chute base for covering a Pocket Factory model on the base, also more crates in the back
- Bazooka Chute: Explosive barrels, also slightly larger chute and barrels + 2 Pocket factories more around the base.
Attacks with: Direct Physical type damage. Passive or active ability differs for each upgrade:
Old Chute Passive: Odd Substances "This chute's internal (and external) appearings and mechanisms are tainted with foul stenches and poisons formed in malfunctioning years. The crates this chute launches are also infected by the rotting stench and poison. Gives a slowing poison attack. Instantly kills the target if not a boss after 10 consecutive hits."
Chute Passive: Squish "The barrels that this chute launches may squish enemies for an extra ~100 damage and stunning the squished unit for 3 seconds."
Power Chute Active: Extra Torque (Costs 25 mana, cooldown 25 seconds. Max Mana 25) "Powers up the motor of the Power Chute for 3 seconds increasing its attack speed drastically."
Bazooka Chute Active: Multi Launch (Costs 5 mana, cooldown 10 seconds. Max Mana 25) "The Bazooka Chute loads up 5 rockets and launches them after 1.2 seconds. Deals large area damage." (Basically Cluster Rockets with ministun and the model of the projectiles changed to Flying Machine Bombs)
Projectiles: Old Chute - Pocket Factory creation model
Chute - Barrel
Power Chute - Explosive Barrel
Bazooka Chute - Flying Machine Bombs
Gold Cost: Base ~200 gold, ~3 wood
Upg 1 ~260 gold
Upg 2 ~590 gold
Upg 3 ~770 gold
------------------------------------------------

So i guess that does it for this idea, feedback please.

Post subject: Re: I have ideas but i totally suck without GUI.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 53
There is another possible idea for you. You could create the models for the towers in the tower creation map and someone else could make the triggering for you. There is always a leak of good tower models.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:04 pm 
User

YouTD Score: 15
Before this, i had never used jass always gui. I found it pretty easy to pick up, just copying and pasting other peoples stuff and reading the how too. After a few towers you will have it down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Coldrocker wrote:
Before this, i had never used jass always gui. I found it pretty easy to pick up, just copying and pasting other peoples stuff and reading the how too. After a few towers you will have it down.
I agree on this. I never had experience neither with the Word Editor nor vJass or JASS but I get the point and copied some things from other people and get the point fast to make tower with special abilities.

But I suck at modelling :/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:36 pm 
Light User

Okay, so i've looked around and people have been saying that same thing, make model yourself and someone else does triggering. And the model build-up doesn't seem too hard, i'll give the model construction a shot today. If i manage to build them up how i like them to be, i'll post the images. (Do you make the models with doodads only, or do you make a unit with that name under Obj. Editor and attach all the doodads?)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:40 pm 
Light User

I have the same problem. i never used vJASS and JASS but i learn very fast from examples.but i cant seem to find any scripts. i cant fully understand that step by step tutorial. Few examples = 10000 Tutorials.
i`ll try some more to find them. mb luck will strike me.

As for the tower ideea , i love first and second skill as well as the description. that rocket shower isnt very original. good luck !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:56 pm 
Light User

Also in same regard. Where can i find the Sewer Connection pipeline? It isn't listed on the models.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ss-4-Goku wrote:
Okay, so i've looked around and people have been saying that same thing, make model yourself and someone else does triggering. And the model build-up doesn't seem too hard, i'll give the model construction a shot today. If i manage to build them up how i like them to be, i'll post the images. (Do you make the models with doodads only, or do you make a unit with that name under Obj. Editor and attach all the doodads?)
You have to download the latest devKit (http://www.eeve.org/YouTD/devkit.php). You open the JassNewGenPack (it's a modified World Editor). Then you can open the tower creation map which is in the YouTD folder. There you could create your tower. Chose a model for your tower and place doodads around it. For placing doodads you have to copy the predefinded doodad and change the model. That's all.

Read the HowTo for more information.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:54 pm 
Light User

Whoa, that wasn't too bad.

I made the models and here they are:

Image - Old Chute
Image - Chute
Image - Power Chute
Image - Bazooka Chute

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
the cannon tower is a doodad, isn't it?

That doesn't work properly i'm afraid.
1) Doods play their full build animation, so you will see a construction yard for 60 seconds
2) Only the main model turns to the enemy. So this tower will not turn to the enemy it shoots. :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:29 pm 
Light User

The cannon tower is NOT a doodad. It is the core model, so it turns to the enemy it shoots.

(You probably know this, but: if you give Required Animation Names "upgrade, second" to a Scout Tower, its model changes into a Cannon Tower. "first" for Guard Tower, "third" for Arcane Tower.)

Besides, how would i be able to perfectly center the cannon doodad?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
I assumed its a doodad because you put it into the ground. However, you cannot put the main model into the ground, the WC3 engine doesn't support this (we used a very dirty hack that works with doodads, normally also this wouldn't work). Test your tower ingame. The cannon tower will stand normally, not sunken into the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:15 pm 
Light User

Ahh screw it. But it looks good standing fully up as well, at least that's how i see it.

But there are your models, now where is the team of programmers? =)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:17 pm 
Power User

YouTD Score: 272
Hm.. Perhaps upload them here and they will be setted to declined instantly (by MasterCassim or geX), so everyone can update them. Would be the easiest way to add the code (i think) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 am 
Light User

Will do. They're here shortly, because i'm on a different computer than that i made the models on. It will take at most a week.

(because spending 30 E on train tickets just isn't worth it)