All times are UTC

Dear guest, welcome to YouTD!

Post subject: FAQ for Tower Creators
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 270
If I have raised your interest and you are tinkering with the idea of creating a tower. Then read these FAQs first. They will give you a short overview about what awaits you.

Q: How do I create Towers, do I have to learn your script language?

A:No, you don't have to learn gsl or something similiar. You design the Towers in the World Editor, just like if you had created your own TD. To be more precise: You load a map which you can download from me. This map already contains a Tower Template where you can just alter the values and the appearance of your tower.

Q: Are there already any towers which I can check out?

A:
Yes, a complete list of already available towers can be found HERE. Note that there is a download button next to each tower, so you can always check how the tower was designed and triggered!

Q: These tower models look so sexy, how are they made?

A:
YouTD allows you to create your model by assembling different other models. As you can see for example the existing towers consist of many doodads assembled to form a cool tower.
It is really easy to create such a model for your tower, just click the effects for it together in the WorldEditor.
Here are some examples for those assembled tower models:
ImageImageImageImage

Q: How do I create triggered abilities for my Tower

A:
YouTD offers a great engine, written in vJASS, which allows you to do mighty triggered effects that you have never seen in any other TD, with just a few lines of JASS code.
So yes, you may not use GUI triggering.
If you don't know any JASS and you want to close your browser now, because you don't think you can create a tower, then let me tell you this:
You can alter many values of your tower without using any triggering. So you can design a sexy tower without triggered effects or you can ask a mate doing the triggering for your. Whenever you have problems with triggering or using the engine, you always find help in the YouTD forum.
If you know some JASS and you do want to create a triggered effect, then read on:
You might now say "zomg I need vJASS". The answer to that is "No and yes". You need some vJASS basics since the engine contains of structs. So you have to know how to call struct methods, but that is all. You don't have to write any structs or do some other vJASS stuff, beeing able to call methods is sufficient.
And believe me: After you have worked yourself into the engine, you will see what cool effects it allows you to create with so few lines of code.

Q: Okay, I think I am going to create a tower. How do I start?

A:

Boekie has written a good primer tutorial for creating a tower which can be found HERE. It is a good start, but to understand everything and to create a high quality tower it is not enough. So I have written a HowTo which you can read HERE, where every little step about creating a high quality tower is explained. You should read and understand it. Don't be afraid of its size. You don't have to read every part of it, just the ones that are important for your tower.
You can also check out other towers and alter them to create your tower.
Finally, if you have any question, you can always open a thread in the YouTD forum. You will get fast help there.

Q: I have installed the JNGP. When I want to test my tower, no error is shown but WC3 goes into main menu instead of starting my map whenever I try to test it. What's wrong?

A:
If you are new to vJASS and the JNGP you may probably not know this yet: As soon as you use vJASS you have to save your map everytime you want to test it. After you have saved it, you can press the test map button and it will work.
However, between saving and testing, you may neither alter you map nor even scroll in the trigger editor. If you do one of these you have to resave before testing.
When you save a map to a new name for the first time, you even have to save twice before you can test your tower.
BTW:
These are glitches with the JNGP, not my fault ;).

Post subject: passive abilities
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 am 
Power User

i was just thinking...if we add ordinary passive abilities to a tower (from object editor) will they still work? Or do i have to do them by jass?

Post subject: Re: passive abilities
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EMPerror wrote:
i was just thinking...if we add ordinary passive abilities to a tower (from object editor) will they still work? Or do i have to do them by jass?

They would, but you are restricted: You should not use any passive abilities that:
-deal damage
-slow the target
-add bonus damage / attackspeed / ...

So the things that would be left over were things like stun (with zero damage).
So yes, most things must be triggered. But the triggering for them is horribly easy and gives you more degrees of freedom than on normal passive abilities:
-You can make a gain per level (without creating a passive abilitiy with 25 levels)
-You can add other effects which are not available in the object editor.

Post subject: Re: FAQ for Tower Creators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
Power User

ok, i get it

but the problem is i know very little of jass (almost nothing)
can u make a tutorial or something? Or atleast link to it / upload it / anything ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:22 pm 
Super User

YouTD Score: 83
Its actually not that hard. Pretty much its fill in the blanks.
You can read the guide: http://www.eeve.org/doc/youtd/index.html

I've never used JASS in my life and managed to make a tower with a triggered ability.
My recommendation is to either wait for a tutorial, or if you really are psyched about making a tower, be prepared to spend some time asking questions in the YouTD forum. Or just look at old posts. The best way, is to post the ability your trying to make and have experienced, helpful people explain what to do.

Unfortunately right now, that's like gex, the new forum moderator (tolleder), me and SirCoqaLot.
And I wouldn't trust that Velex guy with knowing what he's doing. He's a jerk and owes me money.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:16 pm 
Power User

if i set buff duration to 0, that means the tower wont be able to be affected by debuffs?

and i have a strange bug, everything is done ok, i build my tower, make a new map, the script says everything is ok and i should test it.

but when i go on warcraft and try to test it, i cant see the place with players (u know, before u start the game and it shows the player slots, races, handicap and stuff) and when i try to start it, it just goes back (i.e. doesnt start)

so, what's causing the problem? i know i synced the gmsi editor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

EMPerror wrote:
if i set buff duration to 0, that means the tower wont be able to be affected by debuffs?

and i have a strange bug, everything is done ok, i build my tower, make a new map, the script says everything is ok and i should test it.

but when i go on warcraft and try to test it, i cant see the place with players (u know, before u start the game and it shows the player slots, races, handicap and stuff) and when i try to start it, it just goes back (i.e. doesnt start)

so, what's causing the problem? i know i synced the gmsi editor.

You have to save it and not touch it then (save it two times). Otherwise vJASS does not get compiled.

And yes, if you set DEBUFF (not buff) duration to 0.0, the tower can't be affected by debuffs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:49 pm 
New User

When's the beta gonna be geleased? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 53
Stanniejj wrote:
When's the beta gonna be geleased? :lol:
geX is working on it. It's ready when it's ready : )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:09 pm 
Advanced User

YouTD Score: 20
how should i upload a tower? =( i have a
Fatal error
Cannot redeclare scandir() in /var/www/vhosts/eeve.org/httpdocs/YouTD/functions.php on line 18
on http://www.eeve.org/YouTD/add.php
:cry: i was making tower for all day, i don't know JASS but i did it in JASS, through compiles and errors and so on.. and now can't upload it =(
where will i can?

p.s. sorry for my English

Last edited by Shaddow on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:02 pm 
Power User

YouTD Score: 272
This problem is already known. I think its a problem with the new server. U get the same error by pressing the "show tower details" button in the tower browser.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It should work now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:48 pm 
Advanced User

YouTD Score: 20
yep, it's fixed, but i have an another problem on uploading tower..

error
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /var/www/vhosts/eeve.org/httpdocs/YouTD/add.php on line 137: move_uploaded_file(data/temp/temp.gar) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /var/www/vhosts/eeve.org/httpdocs/YouTD/add.php on line 137: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpNryHFo' to 'data/temp/temp.gar'
Couldn't move temp tower file to folder

I'm so lucky.. It's like jackpot of errors..

fixed. thank you

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 am 
Light User

Hi all!
Well i read everything in here and i started to feel that creating a tower for this TD is really complicated.
So i have few questions :

1 Are we restricted for passives skills only from Object editor or jass too?
The reason for this is because I wanted to make my own tower in Darkness but not an ordinery tower.What i wanted was a passive tower which has no physical dmg.What I've been thinking is to remove all icons except the question one that shows lvl of tower and everything else.The other 9 slots to be filled with passive auras such as which have support or curse(mostly):

-dmg dealing (dmg type : essence/3% bonus per lvl/starting 25/)
-slow ( slow : starting 5%/1% per lvl/)
-armor reduction (AR : starting 5%/1% per lvl/)
-true sight (i think this would be very important)
-bonus dmg (BD : starting 5%/1%per lvl/only physical/)
-bonus spell dmg (BSD : Well as much as I played this td most spells were passive with hight dmg /starting 2%/1% per 2 lvls/)
-bonus IAS (IAS : starting 5%/1% per lvl/works for other summons(like Ancient Energy Converters spell)/)
-Bonus exp (this is an original skill/BE : for every kill made in this aura's range this tower gains 2 exp/bonus 1 exp per lvl)
-Bonus gold (every time a tower under the efect of this tower kills a unit it has 10% chance to double the amount of bounty/does not work for wisdom creeps/Every time this tower kills a unit the bounty will be doubled)

Here are the 9 skills I wanted my tower to have and I kinda registered to make this tower for now but i will think for later.
If you think smt is unbalenced and needs to be nirfed just give me a reply and I will do what I think is best for my tower

Now for some other stuff about the tower

-This tower has 8 lvls
-It can be upgraded every 12 lvls (a.k.a. it starts on lvl 1 and upgrades on lvls 13/25/37/49/61/73/85)
-Range of auras
-first i thought of 4000 range but later I realised that was too much so now i think its better between 2500-3000
-To make it easy for ppl to get it from start I think it should be gotten with Darkness lvl 4
-I do NOT ansist on making this tower on my own or being the creator.If someone whats to creat it instead of me he can do it but drop me an Email so i would know that someone is creating it.I even prefer sm1 else to do it because i have no expirience with jass and vJass at all(I dont even know where to dl them)and no expirience in map making.The only expirience i have is finding for bugs because i helped bugtesting for one of my friends with his map and thats all.

After all that moving on tho question #2
Where can i Dl Jass and vJass and when will tutorial be out?
If it is allready written reply with link.

question #3
How about making a dramatic change.Instead of having the sell and upgrade botton with the others,move them in the inventory slots?
Thank you for your time!