All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Fix Weak Randoms - Highest priority
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:34 am 
User

I have been playing Evee! TD 0.20 for almost a week 24/7. I really love the map, but the unbalanced random factor is really pissing me off. When i do get good terrain (plenty of special tiles near the mid of the map, where air passes twice) I still get like 10 (useless) purging potions and a lot of wood which i can't use, which totally screws up my record attempts. On top of, i hardly EVER get enough luck to get a random point in Nature that i so desperately need. I really love the random factor in this game, it makes the map so different to play each game, but please involve some kind of balance to it so that you won't get all these USELESS randoms. The fun thing about Evee! TD is that it's a challenge to improve your current record, but if it depends so much on luck that you only get 1 good game out of every 10 games you play, it is really demotivating to host it again. I can live with wrong tiles, because i can simply rehost the game right away, but just give me some of the items or elements i so desperately NEED. If you already have level 4 in an element, please make it random the 5th one. And reduce the amount of purging potions, experience potions and wood that is dropped and add some more useful items instead.

I already emailed a list of suggestions but compared to this imba randomness all those have low priority. Please fix this imba random weakness, it is really starting to totally piss me off. If it does get fixed, i will keep playing this map as often i have been, but otherwise i will start to boycot it because it's just fucking frustrating. I'm sure i'm not the only person who hates to waste 30 minutes every time you try to break a record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 240
Hi,

if i gave you the 5th element as random whenever you have 4 this would be no random. Try to skill the element you already got a random point in. This way you are guaranteed to get the random.

Maybe I will put in extra chances for a given element, that cost you wood and/or gold, but this would make the game a lot easier.

That so many potions and wood drops is no imbalance I think, just sell them if you think they re useless. You know, there can never be too much of something. The number of useful items (i.e. real items, like + damage) is ok I think, I won't incease it. I could decrease the number of potions dropped, but would this make you happier? You would then just get less items.

edit: Rethought of it: Okay, I think the bonus chances will be in, you re right, bad random elements can be frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:37 am 
New User

Why "USELESS" randoms? :shock: The game is not only Nature and every other element is good too...

One of my favorite tactics is game with three, third level elements. It's much better to have 5-6 dual, instead of few high lvl normal towers. I selling almost every item (except bash or 30%+ speed bonus) and i always have enough gold for dual towers and even for upgrades sometimes...

Very good job, gekko, great map !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:33 am 
User

golqmhui wrote:
Why "USELESS" randoms? :shock: The game is not only Nature and every other element is good too...

No, the elements are not all equally good, especially not if you are playing a defined strategy.
Trust me, the only way for me to come close (or to improve) my current records is by getting Nature level 5.
Depending on how and where you build your maze, you want certain elements for your maze. And my strategy is one that is based on Nature.

Because i play Race mode, i try to finish levels as fast as possible, because of that i only have 0-2 Dual towers and mass damage towers, mostly Thorns and Birdcatchers (so you understand that i really do need Nature level 5). I do sell useless items. Yes i said useless, because i have never used a Purging Potion, and i often have spare wood.
Now, I don't mind getting useless items, as long as i still get some useful items, but sometimes i get only 2-3 useful items the entire game and it's very annoying.

So the bottomline is: Without level 5 in primairy element, and a decent amount of item and tile luck, you won't be able to break your current highscores.
Maybe you don't use a strict strategy, and just play around for fun, but when you try to beat your record then you don't want to waste your time every 9 out of 10 games. Randomness is very nice, but please make it a bit more balanced. It would really improve the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:04 pm 
User

First off: there is no thing such as "useless wood", I often have too few. You need wood for traps, duals, auras, lvl6 towers (ok that's not too often) and most of all upgrades. If you really have spare wood, go to the market place and get +8% attack speed increase for 300 gold.
It is true that some random elements really suck, but these combinations are rare. When I play magic, it is most unfortunate to get nature or storm or even both (had that combination some time ago and had to restart), because you need some splash damage. Most of the other combinations are ok, though. A cool way to solve that problem would be adjusting the accordant dual towers to compensate for these disadvantages (e.g. give the magic/nature dual huge splash damage).
Most of the elements you get by random points are somehow usable even on level 1: nature has shroom field, water has ice cube, earth has pyramide, fire has rune, magic only is usable on level 2, and storm is the worst random point to get (imo) - unless you have problems with air levels.
The only thing I'd like to be changed is the chance of getting 4 different randoms (e. g. you start with nature and you get storm, magic, earth and fire as randoms). If you could make the fourth random point to always be an element you already have, that would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:25 am 
Light User

I think nature needs a nerf, when I host guys I name it"EEVE TD NO NATURE"

Because its too damn easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm 
User

Tinaki wrote:
I think nature needs a nerf, when I host guys I name it"EEVE TD NO NATURE"

Because its too damn easy.

I thinking not nature need nerf , i think the other elementals need buff
p.s. Try sick or impossible whit nature and you will see it is not so easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 pm 
Light User

Maybe instead of your randoms being determined on the fly, your first 2-3 randoms are set at the beginning of the game so you can plan your element picks accordingly. You wouldn't get the elements until the appropriate challenge levels, but you would at least know what they are ahead of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:33 am 
User

BLAOW wrote:
Maybe instead of your randoms being determined on the fly, your first 2-3 randoms are set at the beginning of the game so you can plan your element picks accordingly. You wouldn't get the elements until the appropriate challenge levels, but you would at least know what they are ahead of time.
That would be perfect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:44 am 
User

Well, look at it from this point of view: When you make a map you want players to enjoy the map. They don't have to get lucky too often.. But the game should NEVER suck! It's that simple...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:55 am 
User

BLAOW wrote:

This would make people restart the map over and over again until they get 3 random points in their main element. If this is really what you want, fine. It isn't really random point then.

Phyrax wrote:
But the game should NEVER suck! It's that simple...

Every player has different opinions on what a sucky game is - what is it for you? Is it sucky as soon as you dont get your main element in level 11? I played eeve a lot and rarely ever had games that sucked (i. e. games I didn't enjoy playing). Of coure it is frustrating to lose on impossible for the tenth time in a row, but that's why it is called impossible ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

YouTD Score: 240
I totally agree to Dopex. Telling randoms before makes em no randoms anymore.

And I also agree, that I also enjoyed games of my own map where I had no single bonus tile in the crossroads region and still didn't die. Sure you won't get your uber record, but it makes it a bit harder i.e. more challenging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:20 pm 
User

Yea i agree to that too, in fact, the whole reason i want to see those randoms is to do what he said (remake if you dont get the random you need).

I don't mind losing at all on impossible or whatever difficulty, i just want a GOOD GAME. I want the POSSIBILITY to win. Is that too much to ask?

And you should not confuse "a challenge" with "a waste of time". It shouldn't be too hard to understand what i mean, or maybe you didn't play this map often enough yet. (or maybe you play just 'for fun', instead of trying to beat your record)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:58 pm 
User

I do believe that the Impossible mode was not meant to be completed at all. The reason that some players did complete it was skill (which you undoubtedly have, too) and very much luck. So maybe you can complete impossible mode with 100 more restarts, but don't change anything in the game mechanics just to make it easier to complete impossible mode - this is unnecessary.

@Gekko: Maybe you should completely disable score for impossible mode. That way it still is something to show off with when you complete impossible but people don't start acting like Phyrax, just to make new high scores.

Phyrax wrote:
or maybe you didn't play this map often enough yet. (or maybe you play just 'for fun', instead of trying to beat your record)

:|
Believe me when I say I did play this map often enough. But I will wait for the final before I continue making new highscores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 pm 
User

Dopex wrote:
Maybe you should completely disable score for impossible mode. That way it still is something to show off with when you complete impossible but people don't start acting like Phyrax, just to make new high scores.
First, i don't see what is wrong with trying to beat the highscore... (that is the whole thing that keeps me playing this map over and over again, otherwise i would get bored with it)

Second, why are you so focussed on impossible difficulty? You can also attempt to set records on other difficulties... (i know i do)

Dopex wrote:
Believe me when I say I did play this map often enough. But I will wait for the final before I continue making new highscores.
Yeah maybe i should do that too.. Assuming the balance is implemented...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next